Friday, August 29, 2008

20th Century Boys.

20th Century Boys is one of my all time favorite manga series, the story's dark, moody, a little silly, but insanely conspiratorial. I followed the series for about 2 years before it gave me a brain aneurysm from sheer confusion. I was able to recover later on and finish the series, which ended in a rather anticlimactic fashion.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a good read, and I'd recommend it to anybody remotely interested in Japanese style comics.

There's a reason I wanted to talk about 20th Century Boys, and it isn't because I inhaled a gas can of diesel, I really wanted to talk about it because I just saw the trailer:


That movie looks like crap.

Let me reiterate, the screen play may be excellent and the actors may be Oscar worthy, but I can't get over the fact that all modern day Japanese movies (that's made in Japan) seems to be filmed through special "crap-o-vision" camera so that they all have that distinctive shitty night-time-general-hospital-soap-opera feel. Hell, even the special effects they have on the trailer looked like something you'd see out of the Doctor Who Christmas Special, with less David Tennant making out with Kylie Minogue in there.


Look, Japan, I know you can make decent looking movies, Kurosawa films were legendary, but you don't have to use that as the ruler, but for god's sake, invest a little money in your cinematography. Buy a god damn fucking camera that doesn't make your features look like shit, god damn it, YOU ARE THE EPICENTER OF TECHNOLOGICAL GADGETRY, WTF, GET WITH IT, JAPAN!

No comments: